Monday, May 17, 2010

Party Down

Ever get the feeling while watching a show that you alone are its entire fanbase?

Probably not, because that's really an insane feeling to have.  However, its what I get whenever I watch my favorite Starz original series, "Party Down".  Let me guess?  You've never heard of it?  Well, that makes you a member of a class of the human race that I call "everybody on Earth but myself".  I get the strange feeling watching this show that the entirety of its viewers are myself, and possibly the actors themselves and their families - and I'm not even sure of that much.  Its one thing to watch TV alone, its quite another to feel that throughout this entire approximately 8000-mile wide planet, I'm the only one enjoying this program at this moment.  That's something I usually only get with B-movies like "Troll 2".  The show doesn't even have a TV Tropes page!

Here's the sad thing:  "Party Down" is a really good show.  Its so good, that despite having literally no viewers beside myself, it got renewed for a second season.  It got renewed for a third season.  Its that good of a show that it doesn't even need viewers.  Seriously.

Obviously my purpose here is to rectify that lack of viewership.  Just like I did with "The Boondocks", I'm here to spread the Gospel of another under-watched program, and perhaps make the world a brighter place in the process.  ...Or more likely I can prove that I have just that hip to television and watch far better programs that you peons watching your lives with "LOST" and "America's Next Top Model"*.

"Party Down" is the story of a group of Hollywood wanna-bes, just some of thousands who tried to make it big and failed miserably, who now have been forced to give up their dreams and work in a catering service called - you guessed it - "Party Down".  Steadily as they work themselves down from great dreams of fame and fortune towards the mediocrity of their future, these characters also have to work the grill for the various wacky events they're catering:  be it for the birthday party of a spoiled teenager, a get-together for a finance wizard/con-man, or an orgy.  Yes, an orgy.  Luckily since this is Starz, the show's cast can tackle any subject they want, use any language that want, and yes, show anything that they want.  Gotta love those movie channels!  Some characters handle this with a misplaced belief of their future success (including one has-been actress who is still trying after something like twenty years), while others have completely given up hope and instead have take on a "too-cool-for-all-this" attitude, and others have just failed from the start and get drunk a lot.

This show's premise allows for a lot of freedom, including a very large assortment of hilarious guest stars.  However, excluding Kristen Bell, the vast majority of them are the various "That Guy"s of Hollywood, those C-list actors who get regular work in secondary roles in movies and TV but never really manage to become household names, or even gather a significant fanbase.  Everybody pulls in respectable performances, and even better, though its the main cast that you truly have to admire.  Adam Scott, another "That Guy" plays Henry, the main character for all intents and purposes.  Henry, despite being a talented actor, has had his career destroyed by a series of beer commercials, and so must move down into the working class, spending the rest of his life as a sardonic bartender.  His love interest is Casey (Lizzy Caplan, pictured above), a failed comedian who is already in a relationship.  There are other various characters like a nerdy sci-fi author, a pretty boy blond idiot, and their boss, an incompetent aged fratboy who always manages to make an ass of himself.

The only real problem to the show is how its steadily turning into a some kind of weird actor experiment camp.  "Real shows" are stealing the main cast piece by piece.  First Jane Lynch, easily one of the show's best actors, was stolen away by "Glee" - an act of sabotage I have yet to forgive that program for.  Now in the upcoming Season 3 it seems that Adam Scott is being taken for some NBC show.  Ryan Hansan, the pretty boy has a pilot picked up, and Lizzy Caplan is making her own.  They're chopping the show's limbs off!

Well anyway, there's still half of Season 2 that's airing right now.  The next episode is entitled "Steve Guttenberg's Birthday", which will probably answer that long asked question:  whatever happened to 80s "Police Academy" star Steve Guttenberg?  Even if Season 3 sucks, there's still Season 1.  You can watch both seasons online at Netflix if you want.  See it Fridays at 10:30**.

---------------------------------------
* Both of which I must sheepishly admit that I watch.  I know that today we're basically living in the golden age of television with the very best programming ever coming along, especially in drama, but even so I got to know how "LOST" ends!  What's the deal with the Smoke Monster?  My theory is that the entire island is just the dream of an Eternal Turtle God.

** That's Eastern Standard Time of course.  Other Time Zones are just stupid.  We of the EST have New York City, Disney World, and the best parts of the Caribbean.  Can't argue with that.

15 comments:

  1. Halfway through a DVD box set of LOST's second season, the main reason my family and I continue to watch the show is uncontrollable curiosity. I'm positive that nothing will happen when the timer runs out, but I still need to see it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynch is hilarious, and at times heartwarming, on Glee though. Also, never really got in to Lost, though I do love it's "replacement" Flash Forward, which, quite sadly, has not been picked up for a second season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm....I want to know more about this orgy :D

    In all seriousness, I've never heard of this show, but I don't really watch tv. I live by something I call GTV: Gym, Tan, Video Games.

    No, I don't. But I do play video games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it: I just got my first bit of vandalism (I think). Horray! Planet Blue is officially a real website now!

    But in all seriousness, please don't add nonsense comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry bro, the Red Dead Redemption boards are killing me. That wasn't really a vandalism, at least up to the GTV part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It didn't involve you, it involved a comment I deleted. (I can do that.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I know that today we're basically living in the golden age of television with the very best programming ever coming along, especially in drama..."

    Now I need cry "blasphemy", but that's because I'm one of those crotchety old school folks who think the glory days were when BBC was king, producing innovative and interesting programmes across the spectrum.

    That said, the only telly I watch nowadays is the new series of Doctor Who and science documentaries. Perhaps I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Yuan, just the last decade alone: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Dexter, House, Carnivàle (tragically canceled before it ended properly), Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers (miniseries), Angels in America (miniseries), Masters of Horror, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and countless other shows that I simply have not had the time to actually watch. In fact, there are so many good dramas out there that I have to skip what I know will be excellent series only because I have to focus on others or I'm just not in the mood for heavy serious emotional programs.

    By the way, Yuan, HBO is currently making a TV based on A Game of Thrones, which is very exciting for me since I think that may be the best book I ever read, or close to it. Thanks for the recommendation. Make more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I didn't know that if you delete a comment it doesn't even say "comment deleted".

    Oh, isn't HBO pay to watch? I don't think I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Blue: But now we'll have the interminable wait until A Dance With Dragons is out. Enjoy being part of the ASoIaF fandom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard that Paul Rudd writes for that show, anything he touches is usually so popular too so I checked it out.
    Watched the first couple episodes and I have to say Jane Lynch steals every second she is on screen, it's a great show. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The term "the best programming ever" is incorrect. Programming refers to the noble art of writing computer programs and websites.

    And I beat you big in amount of spam, so far I have gotten over 160 spam comments on my site(the spam filter counts). You've only got one. And other timezones are NOT stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eastern Time here, Toronto Canada baby! I wouldn't really call other times stupid though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, BlueHighwind, have you been watching Kickassia on the Spoony Experiment?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched this show every now and again, until Jane Lynch left. I'm sorry, but once she moved to Glee, so did I.

    Honestly, Glee is the best show on FOX. The most metaphoric part of the show was when, in order to show the World Series, FOX stopped showing Glee for awhile (Why show it on Wednesdays is anyone's guess). So, in other words, a show about choir kids getting picked on by the jocks got replaced by a major sporting event.

    One must reconize the irony here.

    ReplyDelete