Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011's Most Interesting Upcoming Films - Updated -

Since I just looked back to 2010, I suppose I should also look forward as well.  Unfortunately looking back while looking forward requires a lot of ridiculous manic spinning, and I don't have the dexterity.  Growing eyes in the back of your head might help, but being since I am neither a parent in the front seat of the car or your third grade teacher, I lack those extra organs.  So instead I'll take it one at a time.  I already looked back, so now I can look forward.  Then I suppose I'll look left in another post.

A cursory look at 2011's major upcoming films is enough to depress anyone.  The superhero films just don't look good at all, and history has taught me that by and large, most superhero films suck.  So when I hear about "The Green Hornet", "Thor", "Captain America", "X-Men First Class", and "The Green Laturn", I'm not interested.  Then there's "Kung Fu Panda 2" and a slew of bad sequels to movies I didn't see in the first place like "Happy Feet 2", "Alvin and the Chipmunks 3", and a film that according to the known laws of physics should be impossible, "Spy Kids FOUR".  By the way, here's a title to make anybody cringe:  "Big Momma's House 3, Like Father Like Son".  And the remakes... my God:  "Footloose", horror classic "The Thing", vampire classic "Fright Night", The Three Musketeers", "The Muppets", and "Conan the Barbarian".  We got another "Transformers" coming, my God.  There's a Justin Beiber movie!  Have we not entered the End Times, or what?  And even the studio which I've always relied upon to make the best or second best film of the year, Pixar, is making a sequel to their only bad movie, "Cars 2", meaning I don't even get that much this year.  I think I might cry.

Yes things look bleak, they do.  But, in actually a lot of work, I was able to find a couple of movies I am legitimately excited for.  Of course, I've been wrong before ("The Wolfman") and I'll be wrong again.  I may inadvertently recommend what will be the Worst Film of 2011, who knows?  And I know this list is a little short compared the hundreds of films that are released in a single year.  But that doesn't matter!  Honestly, I'm sure I'll find plenty of movies to see beyond this list.  2011 just started.  Things might look bleak now, but by April I'm sure I'll have seen at least one movie I like:

Evangelion Rebuild 2.0:  You Can (Not) Advance (January 21st):  I'm sorry to say that there really will not be any way I can go see this one in theatres.  It is being released in American theatres in New York, but its the week I go back to college from Christmas Break... can't really travel then.  So I'll simply have to wait until the DVD comes out March 29th for the sequel to the new "Evangelion" four-part film adaptation.  And now things get seriously hard-core if the trailer is to be believed.  The first film was more or less a direct adaptation of the first five episodes, now this remake branches off in its own direction, introducing a new girl with glasses and what appears to be several dark twists.  Most of the characters appear covered in blood at some point or another in that trailer.  My only real issue with this one is whether or not it will be English dubbed.  I will be very angry if they don't dub this!

Red Riding Hood (March 11th):  For whatever reason this film is being advertised as "Twilight 4", with Amanda Seyfried as the girl stuck between a love triangle between supernatural hotties.  Actually Amanda Seyfried stars in what I believe might be a straight horror film with the werewolf eating people left and right.  The whole Twilight thing is hopefully a marketing ploy, made worse by the film hiring the actor who played Charlie in the hilariously noxious vampire love films.  Of course the trailer gives a definite sexual overtone to the folk tale but that can be a good thing for horror.  Perhaps its 2011's "Black Swan"... probably not.  Ultimately eroticizing Little Red Riding Hood is nothing new, it was done before in the 1984 disturbing fantasy film "The Company of Wolves".  I mean, Leonardo Dicaprio is producing this one, it couldn't be Twilight, could it?  Really this one depends on its rating.  If its R, I'm there, anything less and it all really depends.

Sucker Punch (March 25th):  In the trailer I spotted strippers, samurai robots, mobsters, B-52s, chicks with swords, and dragons.  And this isn't an anime... somehow.  Director Zack Snyder describes it as "Alice and Wonderland with machine guns" and that's isn't exactly making me worry.  This one is too weird not to miss.  Of course Zack Snyder's last films were the very ambitious and still not very good "Watchmen", and that silly owl film nobody saw.  Oh well, the guy does have talent, and I'd like to see what he can do with his own original story.  And there are strippers fighting samurai robots, that too.

Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides (May 20th):  Can the Pirates franchise survive a fourth film?  Almost certainly not.  I mean, without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, the franchise basically has to stick directly to Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow as the hero, and I don't know if he's up to being the lead.  However, I still got a good feeling for God Knows Why.  Maybe I'm not as smart as I think and am still nothing but a tool of corporate manipulation.  Maybe its Ian McShane playing Black Beard.  Hopefully they can keep up the fun from the last three movies.  Crazy double-crossing magical adventure plots here I come.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (July 15th):  Even if the first part was mostly a lovely English camping trip, it was still an okay film.  And I've been waiting something like ten years to find out how the Harry Potter story ends, I simply cannot miss this one.  Also from what I've heard most of this film is a gigantic action climax with nearly every character fighting it out in Hogwarts, that can't miss!  This series has about 200 characters, so they're all jumping into one ridiculous ring for an ultimate struggle between good and evil.  Why couldn't we just skip to that instead of having a vacation movie first?

Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (November 18th):  I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS AWFUL MOVIE!  "Breaking Dawn" was the book so awful that even Twilight fans hate it.  I'm so ready for this one, I'm going to read the book first.  Bella gives birth to a vampire baby, Jacob falls in love with that baby, this cannot be anything other than a ridiculous comedy or a David Cronenberg nightmare.  Either way I win.  This movie just cannot fail, no matter what.  Worst thing that can happen is that they shove all the good stuff in the second part like Harry Potter did.  And there's so much terrible to be had they couldn't fit it into a single movie.  Oh yeah!  Midnight show - I'm there.

Sherlock Holmes 2 (December 16th):  The last Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law double "House"-esque detective action film was properly awesome!  And now there's a sequel.  There is literally no limit to how far this franchise can go, considering how many Sherlock Holmes stories there have been.  Usually I look at sequels with a very cynical eye, but I honestly think this movie will be better than the first one.

In my first version of this post, I missed one film that I actually think might be pretty interesting:

Rango (March 4th):  Johnny Depp stars in this computer animated western film.  He's a small chameleon who wanders into a hard Wild West town dressed in the same shirt that Johnny Depp's Hunter S. Thompson wore in the bizarre freaky drug comedy (you try to categorize that movie) "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".  Plus the Rango character's head is oddly similar to "Fear and Loathing"'s extremely memorable poster.  So the nerdy little Rango has to become the sheriff and save the town in a plot that you've probably seen already in plenty of cartoons.  But more importantly, look at the landscapes in the background!  Its incredible!  Industrial Light & Magic, AKA "the Star Wars guys" have really done an amazing job from what I've seen.  This is sadly the only animated feature this entire year that has actually caught my eye so far.

Here's to 2011!

14 comments:

  1. They're remaking Footloose? Why?

    I heard that Tge Thing is going to be a prequel to Carpenter's film. I don't know why they're using the exact same title, but that's Hollywood for you.

    And The Muppets. I'm actually excited for The Muppets, because Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother's Marshall and the lead and writer of Forgetting Sarah Marshall) is both writing and acting in it. And rarely do The Muppets disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does anyone know if the cowboy bebop movie is canon with the anime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it happens between two of the last few episodes. 22 and 23 or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should do a list like this for video games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evangelion 2.0 will be dubbed, with Tiffany Grant returning for Asuka (for whatever reason, they've changed her last name to Shikinami), and some new guy playing Kaji.

    I've already seen it. For once, they actually aired something in cinemas Down Under before America. And I gotta say, Blue, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tequila: God Bless Us all. If they had replaced Asuka like they did Rei it would have made me very sad. Tiffany Grant is the only person who could play that role.

    @HeadBodyMaster: As you might have noticed, I'm never very "topical" when it comes to the video games I play. Usually my games are a year old if longer, so I'm not much of a game guy. And anyway, as far as I know there are only two games coming out this year that I actually want to play: "Lost in Shadow" and "Kingdom Hearts Recoded".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am frankly unreasonably pumped for the new Eva movie. I watched the climax battle with Zeruel on YouTube and holy crap! I'm going to be counting the seconds till March 29.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does Asuka have a Japanese first name if she's German?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nick: She's half Japanese, half German. Few "foreign" characters in anime are lacking in some kind of Japanese blood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The remake of Footloose...

    YOu know, she's a crappy attress, but wouldn't Miley Cyrus be perfect to put the preacher's slutty daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @BlueHighwind: Are you saying you're not interested in the new Pokemon game? I mean, of course they're whoring out the franchise with all these new Pokemon and stuff, but still, it looks kind of interesting. I already know I don't have to ask your opinion on Dissidia Duodecim, thanks to MOTHERF*CKING VAAN. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Sherlock Holmes 2 has Stephen Fry as Mycroft in it. While I'm disappointed he didn't get the role in the extremely awesome BBC adaptation that came out recently, I'm sure he'll be great in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This year is the only one in memory where I have not been interested in a single darn thing Hollywood has dished up for us. Even the movies mentioned on this blog seem boring and typical, at least to me. Earlier this month, I WAS looking forward to Ghibli's "Borrowers Arrietty" scheduled to release this summer, but they shoved it till next year... I guess it takes Disney/Pixar a year to dub in voices from Japanese to English (???).

    ReplyDelete