Sunday, July 18, 2010

BlueHighwind's Final Fantasy XV

Its no secret that the Final Fantasy series is a mess at the moment.  They haven't had a really good game released since...  I don't know... man, its been a while.  What games have come out lately?  "Crystal Bearers" could have been great, but it was way too short, "Dissidia" was crap, "Final Fantasy XIII" turned out to not even be worth trying ("a flawless, 14-karat turd" - mrklarryd), and there are at least a dozen other games they've released in this series lately that I haven't even bothered to pay attention to.  The last great Final Fantasy game I think might actually have been "Final Fantasy XII" which came out four years ago on the PlayStation 2.  Even then, amongst Final Fantasy fans I'm something of a minority for thinking FFXII was that great, there's a lot of people who absolutely hate that game.  Maybe you could count the "Advent Children" remake from last year - that was pretty decent, but it wasn't a game.  The PSP remake of "Final Fantasy Tactics" was awesome, but that game is twelve years old at least.

Final Fantasy's fanbase is usually the most divided group out there, but FFXIII's response was negative even for this crowd.  Recently the CEO of Square Enix, Yoichi Wada, even had to publicly say something along the lines of "I know some of you guys hated this one, I'm sorry, I don't know where we're going next".  Then again, the game still made a Mt. Fuji and a half of money, so maybe there isn't an issue at all.  However, let's be real here:  FFXIII was only such a huge release because of the brand name.  If this wasn't "Final Fantasy" but instead "Corridors and Cutscenes:  The Game" I don't think it would have made half as much money as it did.  Even as it makes huge profits, this brand is hurting.  How much punishment can a fanbase take?

You see, FFXIII has its fans.  But when "Final Fantasy XIV" and "Final Fantasy XV" come out, the FFXIII crowd is going to be just as unsatisfied as the FFXII people, the FFX people, and even those sad hold-overs from FFVI and FFVII.  I'll explain:

Final Fantasy games, from the start, never had any real interconnected continuity.  Nobody from "Final Fantasy I" was still around for "Final Fantasy II", and the two plots were completely unconnected.  This isn't really a seres, as much as an anthology of different RPGs.  Even in the old days gameplay would shift in between titles.  One game might have a Job System, another would have a fluid cast, another would have Magicite, Materia, etc.  But as different as these games were, they at least had a fairly standard Final Fantasy feel.  You knew that as much things changed in Final Fantasy Q, you would still be riding on a Chocobo, summoning Bahamut, getting an Airship, and fighting in rows with random battles in Final Fantasy R.  Was it perfect?  No, there were plenty of problems with the series I - X, but it all sorta felt unified on some level.  Yeah the stories were different, but at least the games felt like sequels*.  Maybe its just because I played all these games in rapid fire in the span of two years from 2005 to 2007, but it all felt like maybe the series was going someplace.  There were some games I didn't like, but that was fine, they were missteps on the path towards where-ever Square Enix was taking this series.

But in the new millennium, Square Enix just raped this series.  "Final Fantasy XI" was an MMO, thus making it hugely incompatible with any of the other ten.  As a matter of fact, the FFXI fanbase is barely even the same people as the fanbase for the other games.  Then came FFXII, yet another single-player RPG.  However, here's where things changed wildly.  Turn-based combat was out, random battles were gone, and the battle system was a heavily strategic affair that moved much quicker than any other Final Fantasy game.  I liked the changes here, but I can understand somebody missing the old ways.  And this would have been fine.  "This is the next generation of Final Fantasy", I thought "from now on things are going to move in this direction."  But that's not what happened.  "Final Fantasy XIII" was just as huge a departure from FFXII as it was from FFI - FFX.  These games aren't even recognizable as being from the same series anymore.  Every game is a bizarre little experiment in strange new gameplay.  I know FFXIV is an MMO, but what about after that?  If FFXV has a different system as well, then the FFXIII crowd will hate it, the FFXII crowd will hate it, and so will everybody else.  Then that game will gain a fanbase, and FFXVI will again piss off everybody.

There's going to come a point where this series where the long-standing fans will give up, and new players will be scared away thanks to the complete lack of continuity between games.  This series is moving quickly from revered to notorious.  "Sonic the Hedgehog" showed us that even the most beloved franchise can die, and die horribly.  Final Fantasy could be next.

So in today's episode of Fanwank Corner, I'll pretend that Square Enix actually has any interest in what I have to say and give a few rather basic suggestions for what "Final Fantasy XV" should be.  Yoichi Wada doesn't seem to know what direction to take, and I, despite not being the Chief Executive Officer of one of the world's largest video game software companies, know better apparently.  So once again the world turns to Blue to save the day:

When a franchise loses its way, unfortunately the only real option is to turn back and rediscover your roots.  There are all sorts of directions that Final Fantasy could go, and several that I would really like it to go, but this isn't about me (egotistical assumptions of wisdom aside), its about the fans.  First of all, Final Fantasy needs to find something that works and stick with it.  Enough of this crazy experimental stuff here, what people want is something regular enough that they can always know if the next game in the series will be for them or not.  When you buy a Zelda game, you're not going to accidentally get a weird RPG with a soul of an FPS and all that jazz, you're going to get the same action adventure game you've been buying for years.  I'm not saying don't evolve, just evolve in a linear fashion of some sort.  You can't expect people to buy game after game of developmental dead-ends and enjoy every single wild combination.  Its time to rewind the clock and look at where you came from, what made people fans of this series in the first place.

"But Blue", somebody might be saying right now, "what about Dissidia?  That game certainly was a celebration of Final Fantasy history."  Well yes, you're right, Mr. Rhetorical Device.  But even though Dissidia did indeed bring back the superficial elements of Final Fantasy's past, it didn't really bring back the gameplay.  It wasn't an RPG, it was a fighting game.  Final Fantasy's roots are nowhere near fighting games.  I'm not talking about nostalgic references, I'm talking about a gameplay style here.  (Also that game didn't exactly celebrate the Final Fantasy series as much as ruthlessly parody it with the single worst storyline I've ever heard this side of "Sonic Rush".  But that's a subjective thing.)

Despite how much I would love a FFXII-2 or some kind of action RPG style, I don't think fans would go along with it.  What I'm saying that what Square Enix needs to do - and I cannot believe I'm saying this - is to make a retro Final Fantasy game.   I know "Four Warriors of Light" is coming out on the DS in the Fall, but that's going back just a bit too far.  I mean, its nice to see Black Mages in pointy hats again, but do we really want to rewind back to the time before these games had plots?  "Final Fantasy III" was nice, but we all know they've done better, we don't need a "Final Fantasy III-2", adorable art style notwithstanding.  Actually I'm thinking of rewinding the spiritual clock back to roughly 1996, back to the days of "Final Fantasy VI" and "Final Fantasy VII" - even "Final Fantasy IX".  I'm talking PS1/SNES era here.

What are the two games that Final Fantasy fans almost universally claim to be the very best?  FFVI and FFVII.  That was the period where the games started getting truly character-driven plots with real emotions, but before the series became so damn melodramatic that it could afford to not take itself seriously every so often.  That was the period when the game systems were complex enough to give a feeling of free customization without being so confusing that Square Enix felt that they needed fifteen hour tutorials before letting players play the game.   Final Fantasy fans are a heavily divided group, but I don't think anybody is going to complain if your series suddenly cut out all the bullshit you've collected over the years and went back to its most glorious days.

The bullshit I'm referring to here is how horribly complicated you've made these games.  You don't need to make leveling up a huge weird system.  You don't need a License Board, or a Crystarium, or any other weird menu screen.  The less menus screens the better.  Just have characters gain stats by killing enemies - its simple.  How do they learn abilities? Just by equipping an item and winning battles:  AP.  It could be a magical orb starting with the letter "M", it could be through the Job System, or it even could be through regular weapons and armor.  Simple.  Simple.  Simple.  You don't need to make Limit Breaks huge complicated affairs, just have a bar to fill up by taking or giving damage.  There's your Limit Break.  And you don't to make Summons a bizarre impractical monstrosity of a system that nobody will ever use:  just select "Summon", get the Summon.  Also, on weapons.  Weapons should be the simplest thing ever.  You buy a gun, it shoots, you buy a better gun, it shoots better, that's it.  Don't give me any of this Bazaar crap where you might get a better weapon if you sell a certain item on Tuesday if you're wearing a green shirt.  We don't need a whole item crafting system on top of everything else you need to keep track of, its just annoying.  Look, I love that you always want to try new things, but your fanbase doesn't want to be guinea pigs.  Find something that works and stick with it.

And, this one is obvious, bring back the fucking towns.  People want to pretend they're in a world, not on a ride.  If making a living world requires bringing back the World Map, as unrealistic as it is, bring back the World Map.  Also, try not to make the next game a straight line.  We all know HD is hard to program with, but you can at least make a friggin' fork in the road somewhere.  Make a figure-eight world at least.  Come on!

Even though this FFXV would be deliberately retro, please don't bring back random battles.  I don't know if anybody misses this concept (and I don't want to meet the person who does), but no.  Just no.

I think what may indeed help Square Enix along its philosphical way - and I need you to brace yourself here - is to just remake "Final Fantasy VII" already.  Yeah, I know that's the single most fanwankery thing a fanwanker can ever fanwank for, but I really do think that this will do this company some good.  They need to take a long hard look at the game that their fanbase loves the most**, and find out just what they're later games are lacking.  This company's A-team needs to dig their face right into that game and find out why people love that game so much.  It isn't the fact that the protagonist looks like Cloud, by the way.  And if FFVII is too much, do FFVI instead.  Or maybe just give the guys behind "Dragon Quest IX" a giant budget, they seem to know what they're doing.

But, then again.  Maybe I'm wrong on all counts.  I mean, maybe the series is doing just fine.  Maybe some people out there are legitimately excited for the next experiment and really do want a Final Fantasy like nothing they've ever had before.  Or maybe I'm right about some things and wrong about others.  Who knows?  I'm just an idiot with a blog after all.  Do any of you guys have any ideas?  I'd like to here something.

On the other hand, while I'm foolishly telling Square Enix how to do their jobs, here's a list of games they need to make already:
  • Anything in the "Chrono" series, please just do SOMETHING.  Why are you letting this intellectual property rot when there is so much you could be doing with it?  What are you stupid?
  • A proper sequel to "Final Fantasy Tactics"
  • Un-cancel that "Final Fantasy XII" sequel "Fortress" and make it a real game already
  • A "Final Fantasy VI" remake that actually uses the artwork of Yoshitaka Amano as inspiration and bases its world upon that stuff - but Terra's hair needs to be green
  • Also, I always felt that the opera from FFVI had a much better storyline than the game itself, that could be a good basis for a game's plot
  • BALTHIER:  THE GAME - yay!
--------------------------------------------------
* As bad as Square Enix is at making an anthology its much worse at direct sequels (these are the guys who made "Chrono Cross", remember).  For whatever reason they can't seem to comprehend the fact that when a person buys a sequel to their games, they want to play something like the original.  So instead of an RPG proper you'll get weird gaming experiments mixing in all sorts of strange other genres that rarely ever work on any level.  Let's take FFXII.  Okay, its a great game, and a sequel would be nice.  Its on the DS?  Okay, fine, portable FFXII, it could be great.  Wait, you've completely ignoring the entirity of FFXII's battle system to instead make console RTS?  (Console RTSs always suck by the way.)  You're basing the storyline around FFXII's least interesting character?  You're not going to build on any of the events from the original game and just basing it in a new continent?  What are you, stupid??

** A long hard look at FFVII would do immeasurable good for the Compilation of FFVII as well, because that miniseries really is just shitting on its heritage.  FFVII was never this angsty.  Yeah, it got pretty dark at times (it may be the darkest game of the whole series) but it was never whiny.  Cloud never gave soliloquies about heavy melodrama and psuedo-philosophy, nobody was quoting goth poetry.  The game wasn't afraid to be silly, and that's something Final Fantasy as a whole seems to have lost.

42 comments:

  1. I really don't know what else to say, other than: Amen. (I didn't like or dislike random battles. I just accepted the fact they were there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blogpost is the worst one I have read in ages. Congratulations. You have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, BlueHighwind. I believe that the prime of the Final Fantasy video game series has been it its past, around the ages of Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. Once it evolved out of its fantasy-story era, it lost its uniqueness. As such, I have never been encouraged to purchase necessary consoles or gaming systems to play anything more than III and IV or the DS and Dissidia on the PSP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I mean absolutely no offense towards you, but I hated FF XII, but only as a Final Fantasy. I played it, beat it and even killed Yaizmat. I just didn't think it was a Final Fantasy game. Getting back to what I was going to say, Square desperately needs to stop the bullshit that they have been throwing around. All of the new games are being made to attract a new fan base. They see kids like MMO's, so they make FFXI. They see that kids don't like how "boring" the turn based stuff is, so they kill it. They should do the obvious choice and make anything that seems too different from the root series a spin off. Make the MMO's Final Fantasy Universe, the XII games Final Fantasy: Tales of Ivilace, ect.
    Z-Rune

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, they need to get Masato Kato back to do Chrono Break. I need to know what happened to Janus, and see if he ever found Schala after Chrono Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They've actually made one good Sequel I've played: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.
    The single best SRPG game since Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

    And I really hope XV has a really overcomplicated Job System like FFTA2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never get past the whole Judge System for the Tactics Advance games. Also the fact that they have as much to do with the events of Tactics as Julius Caesar does with King Louis XIV kinda killed my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here regarding the Tactics games. I played the original Tactics when I was eight or nine, and it was the first Final Fantasy I finished (before both IV and VII, which I played earlier but finished later).

    ReplyDelete
  9. FFTA is bad, FFTA2 got rid of all the annoying elements of FFTA and strengthened all the good parts. Except for the Thief and Assassin classes, and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't completely agree. If I want a classic RPG I'll play Dragon Quest. I do want FF to innovate, but I agree they haven't really been doing it right. I loved XII, and XIII was okay, but it could have been a lot better. And they're just trying to become the next WOW with FFXIV. Really, Versus XIII is my last hope here. It looks like it could be really good, but then I said the same thing about XIII.

    And yes to a new Chrono game. A true sequel, not a game with a radically different battle system where all of the characters have been brutally killed off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I for one liked Chrono Cross. A good sequel doesn't have to have all the same characters. Crono and Marle's stories are over, they died, that's that. We know Magus is still alive. I want to see a game with Magus as the protagonist in a sort of future sci-fi setting.

    And at least Kingdom Hearts is still okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I like Chrono Cross (I actually haven't beaten it yet, I got tired of the battle system after playing through most of Xenogears) but I want a direct sequel.

    There's plenty of material to work with, Like a game about what happened to the individual characters after they all went back to their own time periods. Maybe a short, simple, episodic game for the DS. I don't need much, I just want to revisit all of the old characters and places in a new game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to be honest, I thought FFXIII was actually alright, but it did have its problems. The main thing I disliked was the lack of sidequests and all that (that whole Pulse mission crap was just bullshit), and I also hated the whole weapon/equipment upgrading system. I actually preferred FFXII's ridiculous chest system over that, actually. It took away the challenge of taking on optional bosses and finding awesome weapons early on in the game. I suppose that's what happens when they make the game a linear world and all, but I still don't see that as a good enough excuse. I heard, though, that they had to remove a lot from FFXIII for some apparent reason. And whatever happened to that weird cinematic combat system that they originally had in mind (as confusing as it seemed, it did seem interesting)? Those cutbacks might've been what ruined the game, but then again I'll never know.

    Sidequesting aside, I agree that Square should return to the style of some of their earlier games in the series, at least on terms of developing characters and exploring the world and all. The crystarium was decent, but I would prefer the characters' roles to be determined by equipment and all, and that the process of leveling up your characters is kept on a more straightfoward level. I don't ever want to see another license board, that was garbage. Same goes for the junction system. Oh yeah, and they do need to stop screwing around and remake FFVII.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cor blimey! My internet's not out for three days and you've already got a big new update with [gasp] a negative comment! You also seem to have begun channeling Asuka Langley Soryhu in my time away. Hmmm...

    Never played Chrono Trigger, though I would love to. Savin' for Other M, though, so I'm not going to be buying games for a while.

    I like that Final Fantasy mixes things up with every installment. Sure, sometimes you get crap, but other times you stumble upon some gold, like Final Fantasy XII. If it fails, there are always series you can fall back on, like Dragon Quest. Speaking of other series, have you played any of the Mana games, and were they any good?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never played a Mana game (I'm not as well-versed in RPGs as you might think, I've just about mentioned every RPG I've ever played on this blog already) so I don't know. I haven't heard anything especially interesting about them.

    I'm gonna try "Dragon Quest IX" as soon as I finally get around to going to a GameStop. Gotta sell a few games I didn't like too - like "Persona 1".

    ReplyDelete
  16. An episodic Chrono Trigger sequel about what each of the main characters did after Trigger would be interesting and fun to play. And I would take any Chrono I could get. But I'd love to see a full game about Magus and Schala (almost spoiled Chrono Cross there, but I manged to spot what could easily be considered a major spoiler, and edited my post before I actually posted it).

    I hated Final Fantasy XIII. It was pretty much just a bad movie. A pretty movie, but a bad one all the same. And people thought Final Fantasy X was just walking in a straight line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dragon Quest IX is the best rpg game I've played in years. The last FF game I played was X-2, which was the only FF game I ever completed other than FF1, which re-playing today was pretty damn basic.

    Supposedly the creator of Final Fantasy, Hironobu Sakaguchi, left Square-Enix in 2004, leaving behind what he had completed for XII. Square just built upon what he had done, but XIII was completely theirs, Hironobu had nothing to do with it.

    Hiron went on to create some games including Lost Odyssey, a JRPG that by some is considered to be the best RPG-style game in recent years, and is now creating The Last Story, which he claims will actually be his last ever video game.

    Basically, I'm implying that suddenly Square has a game licence that they don't know what to do with. You pointed it out perfectly, every FF has been different but FFXIII was different in bad way. FFXIV will be another weird MMO that will require ridiculously powerful graphics, and FFV is undecided. Let's just hope they can figure something out by then.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, nevermind Last Story being Hironobu's last game, that was a translation error. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry about commenting this late, but I hope you read my response to this, Blue. It's crazy.

    I, madly enough, agree with you 100%. I'm probably the ONLY person in the world who loves FFXII as his favorite, loves FFXIII as his second favorite, and (no offense) loves FFVIII as his third. I'm probably the only person who has never been disappointed by a main Final Fantasy entree. But that's not what I absolutely hate about Square right now. I don't mid FFXIII, it took a while but wow did it sure as hell get the battle system right, and had somewhat of an enjoyable story. What I hate about Square Enix is that they. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

    Really. They got sued, oh well, we'll just ignore that. Glitching FFXIII's? Just buy a new ps3, dude, don't complain to us. Oh, and we want to make all our games like movies. Screw what you want, what do you know? You're just a consumer! You're going to buy it anyway. Oh, and we're teasing you with a new "Project X" that'll blow your socks off. What? It was just Deus Ex 3? You haven't heard of it before? Oh well, let's hope you buy it anyway.

    That is how Wada thinks, and I think either he needs to go, or he needs to get off of his ass and start taking some responsibility. I love FFXIII but it was the absolute worst thing for the fans right now. All Square has been doing is teasing the fans with info about games and then finding they have nothing to back the tease up with because they let slip the punch line IN the tease.

    Now, they're not all bad. The belt guy Nomura has been pouring so much time in KH titles as well as Versus and he seems as if he's the only one who cares about the fanbase. Yasumi Matsuno, creator or freaking Ivalice and everything about it, just today announced he's remaking Tactics Ogre on the PSP, a game with FFXII's composer and art director. And then there is Hironobu Sakaguchi, who is saying he is not trying to copy Final Fantasy whatsoever but then comes out with a game called "Last Story". That's bullshit, lol, even if it does turn out to be a good game, it's still a game made from grudges and lies about his old company.

    I agree that an FFVII remake will save the franchise. Companies like Level 5(heading White Knight Chronicles) and Tri-Ace are making games that are more expansive than anything that is related to FFXIII. It's sickening when you know you still enjoy the games but you know everyone else is hating on them. I had to put up with this for year with FFXII, and now it seems I'll be doing the same with FFXIII. I'm tired of defending these games; Square Enix should be able to create games that most people actually LIKE. It's depressing looking through the comments on the FFXIII boss theme video on youtube, and the majority of people say "epic song, crappy game". Square Enix has become far too commercialized. It needs to do what you said it needs to do, but add re-releasing a bundle of FFX and X-2 on the PS3 with Trophy options and extra features(as well as FFXII) because Square needs something to get back on its feet. They're rolling in money, but nobody is laughing.

    Sorry for writing a novel, but this issue has been also bugging me for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You could also just play The World End With You, since it was innovative in the right way and really awesome at that (especially the story). TWEWY is just the best RPG ever (come on, give us a sequel already!).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah Square Enix doesn't really seem to listen to (or care about) their customers much.

    Unfortunately, from what I've heard, all of the new Mana games are terrible, but I haven't played any so I don't know.

    Twewy is one of my favorite games. Ever.

    On the subject of JRPGs I liked, I just beat Earthbound yesterday. And it was awesome. It was so... unserious and fun. The opposite of what Final Fantasy has become.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I find it hilarious that you brought up Versus XIII, because we know absolutely NOTHING about it. Everybody thinks its some kind of action RPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts, but nobody really knows that's true, do we? You see, there hasn't been even a SINGLE SCREEN, not even a fake one of any kind interactive gameplay. Every trailer has been nothing but cutscenes. I have yet to see any evidence that this game even exists.

    I remember how excited FFXIII's fake gameplay scenes in its first trailers got me, and how dull the actual thing was in comparison. I don't want to go through that again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Aarim: Yeah, Dawn of Mana was pretty terrible. I was more talking about Secret/Sword/Children of Mana, the first of which is on the Virtual Console, so I might get that one.

    I once played The World Ends With You at a friend's place, but I had no idea how to do anything, as I had to start up in the middle (he had all his save slots filled).

    I remain optimistic for Versus XIII, though it is true that it's very possible that it may turn out to be vapourware or, worse yet, terrible. Birth by Sleep looks amazing, though, and from a Let's Play I saw (Japanese version played by a Dutch person, so I doubly had no idea what was going on in the cutscenes), I think it might be everything I ever wanted in a Kingdom Hearts game.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There have been a few pictures of Versus XIII gameplay, they just don't really tell you anything. And while we might not really know anything about Versus XIII, I have faith. Blind, unwarranted faith. And the cutscenes are so pretty!

    And yeah, that's a problem with TWEWY. It's only got one save slot.

    Anyway, I have skimmed a Let's Play of Seiken Densetsu 3 with a translation patch but I haven't actually tried the game yet. It sounds like it's like Secret of Mana, but improved, so if I ever play one I'll probably start with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd just like to mention, I thought majority of FF fans think that the top three was FFIV, FFVII, and FFIX. Never heard of VI being called the most popular.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YKProductions, I am afraid to say you're wrong. The most popular games of the franchise are VI, VII, VIII and X. IX was a late discovery for most because of its untimely release.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My personal favorites are IV, VII, and IX. VI was okay, but, eh, it took itself a little too seriously. I mean, so did IV, but it was the first Final Fantasy I played and one of my favorites when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Final Fantasy turned into crap since Final Fantasy X and that ridiculous storyline of his, seriously, i'd have more fun reading internet fanfic instead of playing FFX. XII wasn't that bad tough, it has a decent storyline, but the gameplay gets boring and repetitive after a while. And then XIII appeared and ruined what alerady was bad: Crappy linear gameplay, much more crappier battle system, not-even-a-little interesting storyline, lame characters and they even ruined the soundtrack of this one, very few music in this piece of shit were good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. " "Sonic the Hedgehog" showed us that even the most beloved franchise can die, and die horribly."


    Sonic still has a decent game everyy now and again, and there still IS a fanbase for it,granted is the worst of the lot but its still there. And looking at the latest Sonic games Colors/Sonic 4, they are really determined to get the series back on track, beacuseSega saw what worked for the series and is incorporating those aspects in those games.

    I just wished SE could do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, I don't think a guy who likes FFVII and FFXII can talk about Final Fantasy series, because these games can't say anything wuhat final fantasy series should be from now on. I agree with "I don't wanna be a guinea pig" thing, but you still didn't get it the feeling of FFs.
    You didn't mention FFVIII and FFX.
    Sorry but I dare say about your opinion "What a stupid storyline, we can't let them join us".

    ReplyDelete
  31. Though I hated FFXII, I couldn't agree more on most of the things you said. This series is badly lacking the magic that made it so special in its heydey. Going back in time a little bit wouldn't do the series any harm at all.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just felt as you when I played FFXII: "ok, I didn't like it, but didn't dislike it either. The guys are trying new ways, that's great and, after all, this isn't THAT bad, I will hold it". After some years, now, I realize that FFXII is, in fact, a great game. XIII was a deception, literally "corridors and cutscenes: the game".
    I didn't played all the FF's, 'cause I wasn't born when the first arrived. But, since VI, I've played them all, and you're right: the golden age was the 90's decade. Despite of the fact that I would love a remake of VI or VII, I really think SE should go back and, at least, look at these games. I bought my 360 just to play the XIII, and felt like it was the biggest deception of my life (really), especially when I'm a brazilian and, here, consoles are VERY expensive.
    Anyway, sorry for the bad english.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think Square/Enix's REAL problem is, they're attempting to make a game that satisfies two VERY different markets: Japan and America. To say that these two markets are different, is kinda like saying FFXIII was (slightly) underwhelming. Americans, by-and-large, ENJOYED FFXII. The Japanese were still clamoring for DQVIII in 2001 when it came out on PS1. Y'know what I would like to see? FF-via-LOZ. Everybody loves Secret of Mana, and they also agree that it completely ripped-off Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. So, why not do the same thing, only on PS3/360/Wii? Hell, there were moogles and (unofficially) chocobos in the game. Why not scrap the lame Elementals, and give us some classic FF Summons as the elementals instead? Who WOULDN'T like a SOM version of Shiva and Ifrit, to name a few? Hell, you can even take out Epona and put in Choco. You make the Elementals the bosses of their respective dungeons, replace the Master Sword with the Mana Sword, and voila! It'll sell well in America, be cheap to develop, the Japanese would eat it up. Make more serious than the 16-bit games, like the feel of Twilight Princess. Oh yeah, and, instead of Flammie (lame!) you get to ride BAHAMUT! This is SUCH a good idea, I wonder why it hasn't happened already.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I'm in love with you. Let's plot to take over the FF universe and then go make us some babies.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The last actually good FF they made was XII, so you are right there along with the fact that XIII sucked, but which battle system is the best in your opinion as well as which is the best leveling up system?

    ReplyDelete
  36. WISDOOOOOOM !!!!! Too bad square enix won't listen and instead they'll release ff13-2 which i will be obligated to play seeing as i forced myself to sit through the first one - providing I haven't committed rpghorror-seppuku by then - (the chances of which are pretty high seeing as I just read heart of darkness and watched apocalypse now) - THE HORROR!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think that a game like this might save the Final Fantasy series. You know what would help this game a lot? A dragoon. Not just any dragoon. A dragoon with a snarky attitude who has been banned from his dragoon clan because of an act that had good intentions, but was frowned upon by his elders. A badass like that would really help the game out.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm from the future ff versus cool became ffxv imagine that

    ReplyDelete